News Releases

September 27, 2017: Man Convicted of Stabbing Girlfriend While She Was in the Hospital

Contact: 
Sarah Ardalani, Public Information Officer
(213) 257-2000

A 30-year-old man pleaded no contest today to assaulting his girlfriend in March, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced.

At today’s court appearance, Lorenzo Darnell Moss Jr. (dob 10/16/86) of Compton pleaded no contest to a felony count of injuring a girlfriend in case NA106109.

The defendant also admitted a special allegation that he personally used a deadly and dangerous weapon, a knife, during the commission of the crime. Furthermore, Moss admitted that he was previously convicted of second-degree robbery in 2009.

The defendant is scheduled to be sentenced Oct. 16 in Department S01 of the Los Angeles County Superior Court, Long Beach Branch. He is expected to be sentenced to 17 years in state prison.

Deputy District Attorney Kelly Kelley of the Victim Impact Program, who prosecuted the case, said on March 28, Moss went to a Long Beach hospital to visit his girlfriend, who was a patient at the medical facility.

During the visit, Moss punched his girlfriend and stabbed her on her arms, hands and neck, according to the prosecutor. The victim began screaming and the defendant fled the area, the prosecutor added.

Authorities were called to the scene and a blood trail led police to the defendant, who was then taken into custody, the prosecutor said.

The domestic violence case was investigated by the Long Beach Police Department.