Office FAQs

What is the District Attorney's jurisdiction?

The Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office prosecutes felony crimes throughout Los Angeles County and misdemeanor crimes in unincorporated areas of the county and in all cities except Burbank, Hawthorne, Hermosa Beach, Inglewood, Long Beach, Los Angeles, Pasadena, Redondo Beach, Santa Monica and Torrance.

How may I obtain information about job opportunities in your office?

The District Attorney's Office posts job opportunities within our office on our website. Please visit to see a listing of current openings.

How do I report a crime?

All crimes should be reported to the police agency in the area where the crime occurred. If you need to report an emergency, call 911. In certain limited circumstances, the District Attorney's Office takes crime reports for cases such as public corruption, criminal conduct by members of the judicial system, fraud cases in excess of $300,000 and real estate fraud.

Who decides what charges to file, and how do they make that decision?

A deputy district attorney reviews cases brought to the District Attorney's Office by local law enforcement agencies. The reports are reviewed in light of current law and whether the case presented by the agency can be proven in court beyond a reasonable doubt.

How do I get a copy of a police report?

Contact the police agency that created the report.

May I gain access to criminal records online?

Some records are available online. Los Angeles County Superior Court is the agency that maintains records of criminal court cases. Visit the court's website at

Can you provide me legal advice?

Employees of the District Attorney's Office are prohibited by law from answering legal questions or offering legal advice.

Will you help me clear up an outstanding warrant?

The District Attorney's Office is prohibited by law from providing legal assistance or advice to a defendant. For help, you may contact a private attorney or the Los Angeles County Public Defender's Office at the Clara Shortridge Foltz Criminal Justice Center, 210 West Temple Street, 19th Floor, Los Angeles, CA 90012; (213) 974-2811. The Public Defender represents defendants who cannot afford an attorney.

How can I have my criminal record expunged?

Contact the attorney who represented you during your criminal proceedings or request the appropriate forms and instructions from the Clerk's Office in the courthouse where you were convicted. Procedures may vary depending on the criminal charge and the manner of sentencing. Persons sentenced to state prison or convicted of certain sex offenses are not eligible for expungement.

Where may I get help with a consumer-related problem?

The Los Angeles County Department of Consumer and Business Affairs is a valuable resource for help with complaints and information about consumer issues. Visit or call (800) 593-8222. The agency also may be reached by e-mail at

Where do I find information on child support?

The Los Angeles County Child Support Services Department is responsible for child support operations. For information, visit the department's website at Please direct inquiries or complaints to (866) 901-3212 or email Written correspondence may be sent to: Child Support Services Department, Office of Ombudsperson, 5770 South Eastern Avenue, Commerce, CA 90040.

I have a complaint against the District Attorney's Office. How do I contact you?

Email the office at or write a letter and send it to the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office, 211 West Temple Street, Suite 1200, Los Angeles, CA 90012.

I want to file a complaint against a police officer or sheriff's deputy. Can the District Attorney's Office help me?

You will need to report the matter to the officer's agency. That agency is required to receive a complaint, investigate the matter and respond to the complaining party.

Where do I make a complaint about alleged misconduct by an attorney or a person acting as an attorney?

The State Bar of California investigates complaints and disciplines attorneys who violate State Bar rules. For information on how to file a complaint, visit or call the Attorney Complaint Hotline at (800) 843-9053.

The District Attorney's Justice System Integrity Division (JSID) investigates and prosecutes criminal conduct by persons who work within the justice system in Los Angeles County, including attorneys, judges, court employees and law enforcement personnel. To contact JSID, call (213) 974-3888.

The District Attorney's Consumer Protection Division investigates and prosecutes unauthorized practitioners of law, including unlicensed persons posing as attorneys and disbarred former attorneys who continue to practice. To contact the Consumer Protection Division, call (213) 257-2450.

How do I report a Brown Act or open meeting violation? What if I have concerns regarding an elected person or body?

Please submit your complaint in writing to the District Attorney's Office, Public Integrity Division, 211 West Temple Street, Suite 1000, Los Angeles, CA 90012.

Someone claiming to be from the District Attorney's Office wants to ask me some questions.  How do I know they really are from your office?

Every employee in this office is issued official identification. Ask to see it.

How do I find out if a defendant in a case is currently in custody?

Look for the defendant by inmate number or name, using the Sheriff's Department Inmate Information Center at

What if I have a question that is not in your FAQs?

You may submit a question through