U Visas/T Visas

Under federal law, certain undocumented crime victims who have suffered substantial physical or mental abuse and are helpful to law enforcement are eligible to apply for a U nonimmigrant status visa (U visa).  The U visa allows eligible victims to live and work in the United States for up to four years with the possibility of obtaining permanent resident status.

To qualify, victims must obtain certification from a local, state or federal law enforcement agency documenting their helpfulness in the investigation and prosecution of the designated crime of which they were a victim. 

T nonimmigrant status (T visa) may be granted to victims of severe forms of human trafficking. A T visa allows victims to remain in the United States to assist law enforcement in the investigation and prosecution of human trafficking cases. Although not required, victims are strongly encouraged to submit a declaration from a law enforcement agency stating the victim has complied with reasonable requests from law enforcement.

If a victim believes they may qualify for a U visa or T visa, the victim or their representative must complete the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services’ (USCIS) Form I-918, Supplement B (for U visa) or Form I-914, Supplement B (for T visa) and submit it to the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office for consideration.  Both forms are available on the USCIS (www.uscis.gov) website.

For a list of local nonprofit agencies that assist victims in the U visa and T visa application process, please click here.