Employment FAQs

How do I search for a job with the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office?

Visit the Employment page on the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s website for Open Competitive Examinations that are open to the public. You also may visit the Los Angeles County Department of Human Resources website, click on “Advanced Search,” then search by department and select “District Attorney” for Transfer Opportunities, Departmental Promotional, Interdepartmental Promotional and Open Competitive Opportunities.

How do I apply for a position with the District Attorney’s Office?

To apply, you must read the open Job Announcement/Bulletin carefully and follow the instructions in the “Application and Filing Information” section of the bulletin. If the exam is online filing only, and it is your first time applying online, you must create an account (email address/username, password and security question). Note: Remembering your user ID/email address and password is important as you will need them if you are planning to apply for any other examinations or want to check on the status of your application. You may update your profile each time you log in to the system.

May anyone apply for Promotional Opportunities and Open Competitive Employment in the District Attorney’s Office?

A Promotional Opportunity is only open to current employees of the District Attorney’s Office. Interdepartmental Promotional Opportunities are only open to Los Angeles County employees. An Open Competitive Employment opportunity is open to both the public and Los Angeles County employees.

What requirements must I meet for my application to be accepted?

To qualify, you must meet all the requirements listed on the posted Job Announcement/Bulletin.

What are the requirements to become a Deputy District Attorney?

You must be licensed by the State Bar of California to practice law in all courts in California.

Does the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office have an internship/volunteer program?

Yes. For more information about volunteer law clerk opportunities, please click here or contact the District Attorney’s Recruitment Unit at LADARecruitment@da.lacounty.gov. For information about volunteering with the District Attorney’s Victim-Witness Assistance Program, please click here or call (800) 380-3811.

What types of documents are accepted to show proof of United States citizenship?

U.S. Passport, original or certified copy of birth certificate issued by a state, Certificate of U.S. Citizenship (Form N-560 or N-561), Certificate of Naturalization (Form N-550 or N-570) or U.S. Citizen ID Card (Form I-197).

What are some examples of factors that disqualify me for employment with the District Attorney’s Office?

Job-related criminal charges or convictions, certain serious traffic convictions or patterns of traffic violations and poor credit or employment history are some factors that may disqualify applicants from employment with the District Attorney's Office.

Do I need to have an email address to apply online?

Yes. The system requires an email address as part of your login identification. Providing your email enables the system to send you a receipt of your application and allows you to check the status of your application.

May I use the email account of another applicant?

No. You should never use the email address of another applicant. Sharing email accounts can put the confidentiality of your application at risk and create confusion as to the identity of the applicant.

Why do I need to enter a valid Social Security number?

The system uses your Social Security number and name as a unique ID to store and locate exam information.

How long will my computer session remain active while I complete the exam application?

Your computer session will time-out (close) after 30 minutes of inactivity (not moving to the next screen). Note: This also may occur when entering information in the Prior Work Experience Section if it takes you longer than 30 minutes to complete.

How do I add an attachment to my application?

From the Attachment Section of the Los Angeles County job application, follow steps 1 through 6.

  1. Click the “Browse” button.

  2. Look for and select the file you want attached and click “Open.”

  3. Click the “Upload” button.

  4. Under “Category” from the drop down menu – select document type.

  5. Repeat 1 through 4 to attach additional attachments (you can upload up to 15 attachments of up to five megabytes each).

  6. Click the “Next” button to go to the next screen of the exam application.

What do I do if I do not receive an email notice for the job announcement for which I applied?

If you do not receive an email notice, check your spam or junk mail. Also, check the email address on your exam account to ensure that it is correct. If your email address is incorrect, correct it and then contact the Exam Analyst listed on the Job Announcement/Bulletin.

If I apply for an exam online, how can I find out where I am in the exam process?

You may view your exam status online by logging into your account and clicking on the “Job Submission Status” link on the Welcome page.

What can I do if I forget my password?

Go to the Welcome page, enter your email address and click on “Forgot Password.” The system will verify your email address and an email will be sent to you requesting that you update your password.

When can I expect to be hired by the District Attorney’s Office?

If you pass the required exam, you will be placed within a band on an eligible list. A band is a grouping of candidates with exam scores that fall within a defined range. Placement on this list does not guarantee you a job. Your opportunity for appointment depends on the number of vacancies to be filled and the number of eligible candidates. Candidates in higher bands are given first consideration. Be sure to respond to any attempts made to contact you or you may miss future job opportunities.

If I am a veteran, may I receive veteran’s credit?

Veteran’s Preference Credit of 10 points will be added to the final passing score in any open competitive examination if you are an honorably discharged veteran who served in the Armed Forces of the United States or if your military service meets one of the following criteria:

  • During a declared war

  • During the period April 28, 1952, through July 1, 1955

  • For more than 180 consecutive days, other than for training, any part of which occurred after Jan. 31, 1955 and before Oct. 15, 1976

  • In a campaign or expedition for which a campaign medal or expeditionary medal has been authorized and awarded

This also applies to the spouse of such person who, while engaged in such service, was wounded, disabled or crippled and thereby permanently prevented from engaging in any remunerative occupation and to the widow or widower of any such person who died or was killed while in such service. A DD214, Certificate of Discharge or Separation from Active Duty, or other official documents issued by the applicable branch of service are required as verification of eligibility for Veteran's Preference. If you are unable to provide any documentation at the time of filing, the 10 points will be withheld until such time documentation is provided.

If I am disabled and want to participate in an examination, how does the District Attorney’s Office accommodate my special needs?

Reasonable testing accommodations for applicants with disabilities are provided upon request. Requests can be made to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Coordinator at (213) 202-7705.