March 18, 2016: Man Convicted of Monterey Park Murder in 2014
A 20-year-old man was convicted today of fatally stabbing another man in Monterey Park, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced.
The jury deliberated for a day before finding Angel Octavion Garcia guilty of second-degree murder in case GA095071.
Jurors also found true a special allegation that the defendant personally used a deadly and dangerous weapon, a knife, during the commission of the crime.
Garcia is scheduled to be sentenced on April 8 in Department T of the Los Angeles County Superior Court, Alhambra Branch. He faces a maximum possible sentence of 16 years to life in state prison.
Deputy District Attorney Theodore Swanson, who prosecuted the case, said on Oct. 14, 2014, Garcia stabbed Edward Mendoza, 35, in a Monterey Park parking lot.
Mendoza called 911 and said he had been assaulted before ultimately succumbing to his injuries while on the phone, the prosecutor said.
Soon after the incident, a person came forward to police and revealed Garcia had confessed to stabbing a man, the prosecutor said.
Eight days after the killing, police arrested Garcia in connection with the killing, the prosecutor added.
At trial, the prosecutor argued Garcia stabbed Mendoza after he was humiliated over a failed drug transaction involving another person from earlier in the night. The defendant took his anger out on Mendoza, the prosecutor added.
The case was investigated by the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.
About the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office
Los Angeles County District Attorney Jackie Lacey leads the largest local prosecutorial office in the nation. Her staff of nearly 1,000 attorneys, 300 investigators and 800 support staff members is dedicated to protecting our community through the fair and ethical pursuit of justice and the safeguarding of crime victims' rights.