News Releases

September 3, 2013: Man Charged with Murder in Death of Woman who Fell from Moving Vehicle onto Freeway

Contact: 
Shiara Dávila-Morales, Media Chief
(213) 257-2000

Prosecutors today charged a 26-year-old North Hollywood man with murder in the death of a woman who allegedly fell from a moving vehicle last week onto the eastbound Foothill Freeway, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced.

Deputy District Attorney Carolyn McNary said Ricardo Jimenez (dob 7/8/87) is expected to be arraigned this afternoon in Department S of the Los Angeles County Superior Court, San Fernando Branch.

The criminal complaint, case PA078006, includes a special allegation that a knife was used in the commission of the offense.

The victim, identified in the charging document as Maria J., was seen falling from a car onto the 210 freeway in Sylmar. She was hit by numerous vehicles.

The victim and the defendant were in a dating relationship, the prosecutor said. The case remains under investigation by the Los Angeles Police Department.

Prosecutors recommended that bail be set at more than $1 million. If convicted as charged, Jimenez faces a maximum sentence of 26 years to life in state prison.