News Releases

September 21, 2015: Fugitive Charged with Killing Four Family Members in 1999

Contact: 
Jane Robison, Assistant Media Chief
(213) 257-2000

A 33-year-old fugitive is awaiting arraignment for the 1999 slayings of four family members, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced today.

Saulo Alvarado (dob 6/19/82) is scheduled to be arraigned this afternoon in Department 30 at the Foltz Criminal Justice Center.

Deputy District Attorney Victor Avila with the Major Crimes Division, who is prosecuting the case, said Alvarado is charged with the murders of his father, stepmother and two half-brothers. He also is charged with two counts of forcible lewd act on a child in case BA439926. He is being held without bail.

On April 26, 1999, the bodies of Rudolfo Alvarado, 51, his wife, Eva Veronica, 36, and their two sons, Renzo, 16, and Victor, 4, were discovered inside the family’s Hyde Park apartment. Each family member had been shot with a revolver. The gun had been placed in Renzo’s hand to make it appear that it was a murder-suicide, prosecutors said.

Alvarado, who had been deported to Guatemala following a 2003 conviction for rape in an unrelated case, was extradited back to Los Angeles in February. But his arraignment in adult court was delayed while prosecutors went through the juvenile court process to have Alvarado, who was 16 at the time of the murders, tried as an adult.

The complaint filed today charges him with the special circumstances of multiple murders and lying in wait along with gun allegations. Because he was 16 at the time of the murders, Alvarado is statutorily ineligible for the death penalty.

The case was investigated by the Los Angeles Police Department.