News Releases

May 22, 2018: Woman Convicted of Multiple Counts of Murder for Fatal Car Crash on 60 Freeway

Contact: 
Sarah Ardalani, Public Information Officer
(213) 257-2000

A 25-year-old Fontana woman was convicted today of killing six people in a wrong-way car crash that occurred more than four years ago, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced.

At today’s court appearance, Olivia Carolee Culbreath pleaded no contest to six counts of second-degree murder in case KA104665 in an open plea to the court. The open plea means a sentence was not negotiated with the District Attorney’s Office.

The defendant is scheduled to be sentenced Sept. 7 in Department 108 of the Foltz Criminal Justice Center.

Deputy District Attorneys Elizabeth Padilla and Casey Higgins of the DUI Training and Prosecution Section co-prosecuted the case.

In the early morning of Feb. 9, 2014, Culbreath drove her Camaro against traffic on the 57 and 60 freeways in the city of Diamond Bar, prosecutors said.

The defendant was driving northbound on the southbound lanes of the 57 freeway and then traveled eastbound in the westbound lanes of the 60 freeway when she collided head-on with a Ford Explorer, prosecutors said.

All four occupants in the Ford Explorer, three generations of the same family, were killed. Two passengers in the Camaro, including Culbreath’s sister, also died in the collision, prosecutors added.

According to evidence presented at the preliminary hearing, Culbreath had previously been arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol resulting in a collision. She was warned by the court about the dangers of driving under the influence of alcohol and also was admonished that such future conduct could result in murder charges.

In addition, evidence was presented that Culbreath had a .15 percent blood alcohol content approximately three hours after the fatal crash.

The case was investigated by the California Highway Patrol.