News Releases

August 28, 2014: Woman Accused of Setting Fires in El Segundo Charged With Arson, Terrorism

Contact: 
Greg Risling, Public Information Officer
(213) 257-2000

A 63-year-old woman has been charged with setting seven fires last week in El Segundo, including two churches, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced.

Barbara Nania (dob 4/13/51) of El Segundo was charged in case SA088464 with seven counts of arson and one count of terrorism. Nania is scheduled to be arraigned tomorrow in Department 144 of the Los Angeles County Superior Court, Airport Branch.

Nania is accused of starting the series of fires on Aug. 17 at a yarn store, according to the criminal complaint. She is charged with setting another fire the following day.

Deputy District Attorney Sean Carney of the Arson Unit said Nania was responsible for a fire at a Catholic church on Aug. 20. Nania sneaked into the sacristy and burned some robes, Carney said.

On Aug. 24, Nania is suspected of starting three fires, including one at an Episcopal church in the 300 block of Richmond Street. The blaze was set in the lobby while a service was ongoing, Carney said. The fire was put out by parishioners.

No one was injured in any of the fires.

Prosecutors are recommending bail be set at $775,000. If convicted as charged, Nania faces up to 13 years and four months in state prison.

The case remains under investigation by the El Segundo Police Department.