March 3, 2016: Transient Pleads to Recklessly Causing Lincoln Fire
A transient charged last year with starting a fire near the Whittier Narrows Reservoir pleaded no contest today to recklessly causing a fire, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced.
Arturo Miallan Aguilar (dob 11/21/69) was immediately sentenced to one year in county jail, ordered to complete a one-year, live-in drug treatment program and placed on probation for three years, said Deputy District Attorney Joy Roberts with the Arson Unit who prosecuted the case. A restitution hearing will be set later.
The so-called Lincoln Fire was first reported about 1:30 p.m. on Aug. 16, 2015, around Montebello Hills. Aguilar was arrested later that same day. Officials said the fire burned approximately 300 acres. No structures burned.
Case BA439032 was investigated by the Montebello Fire Department.
# # #
About the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office
Los Angeles County District Attorney Jackie Lacey leads the largest local prosecutorial office in the nation. Her staff of nearly 1,000 attorneys, 300 investigators and 800 support staff members is dedicated to protecting our community through the fair and ethical pursuit of justice and the safeguarding of crime victims' rights.