News Releases

November 16, 2018: Three Found Guilty of Attempted Murder in Compton Shooting That Wounded Child

Contact: 
Ricardo Santiago, Public Information Officer
(213) 257-2000

Three gang members have been found guilty for shooting at a group of men and wounding a young boy in a passing car last year, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced.

Luis Julian Beltran Perez (dob 6/2/95), Edgar Manuel Rosas (dob 7/7/83) and Salvador Sanchez (dob 10/20/97) all were found guilty late yesterday of two counts of attempted murder as well as three counts of shooting at an occupied motor vehicle.

The jury also found true allegations of use of a firearm and that the shooting was committed for the benefit of, at the direction of, and in association with a criminal street gang.

Deputy District Attorney Shannon Cooley of the Hardcore Gang Division said Perez also was found guilty of three counts of attempted voluntary manslaughter and the jury found the attempted murders were willful, deliberate and premeditated.

Sentencing in case TA143448 is scheduled on Jan. 24 in Department C of the Los Angeles County Superior Court, Compton Branch. All three defendants face life in state prison.

On June 7, 2017, Perez, Rosas and Sanchez confronted a group of men standing in front of a liquor store near Atlantic Avenue and Compton Boulevard in Compton.

Perez then retrieved a gun and began shooting at the group, the prosecutor said. One of the stray bullets struck a 4-year-old child in the head who was sitting in a passing vehicle, the prosecutor added.

Deputies from the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, Compton Station, responded to the area within minutes and transported the child in their patrol car to the hospital, where he received immediate life-saving medical attention, the prosecutor said.

The case was investigated by the Sheriff’s Department.