News Releases

May 16, 2014: North Hollywood Man to Stand Trial for Sister’s Murder

Contact: 
Ricardo Santiago, Public Information Officer
(213) 257-2000

A North Hollywood man was arraigned today after being ordered to stand trial for the murder of his sister, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced.

Deputy District Mathew Vodnoy said Mario Alejandro Martínez (dob 10/11/90) pleaded not guilty to murder in case LA075140.

A pretrial hearing is now scheduled for June 16 in Department R of the Los Angeles County Superior Court, Van Nuys Branch.

He was ordered to stand trial on May 2 after a one-day preliminary hearing.

According to testimony at that hearing, on Sep. 2, 2013 Raquel Martínez went to her mother’s apartment, where the defendant also lived, to bring some milk. Mario Martínez, angry at his sister because of a fight earlier in the year, allegedly grabbed a knife from the kitchen and chased her into the street.

Their mother attempted to intervene but could not stop Martínez from purportedly stabbing the victim to death. The defendant tried to escape but two Good Samaritans who saw the attack followed him and directed police to his location, the prosecutor said.

The case was investigated by the Los Angeles Police Department, North Hollywood Division.