News Releases

May 31, 2017: Man Sentenced to Prison for Assaulting Teen Playing Pokémon Go

Contact: 
Sarah Ardalani, Public Information Officer
(213) 257-2000

A 57-year-old man was sentenced today to seven years in state prison for striking a teen who was playing a location-based reality game, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced.

At today’s court appearance, Jayson Louis Lingen pleaded no contest to one count of assault with a deadly weapon in case NA104806. The defendant also admitted he was previously convicted of assault with a deadly weapon in 2013.

Deputy District Attorney Thushari Wijesinghe, who prosecuted the case, said on the evening of Aug. 17, 2016, a 17-year-old boy was playing Pokémon Go, a location-based reality game, in Long Beach.

As the teenager was roaming the area, Lingen yelled at the victim and hit him in the head with a metal pole, the prosecutor said. Following the assault, authorities were called and police took Lingen into custody, the prosecutor added.

The case was investigated by the Long Beach Police Department.