News Releases

October 28, 2016: Man Sentenced to Prison for Assault, Other Crimes After Televised Police Pursuit on 91 Freeway

Contact: 
Sarah Ardalani, Public Information Officer
(213) 257-2000

A 26-year-old man was sentenced yesterday to 15 years in state prison for leading authorities on a televised police pursuit, which shut down the 91 Freeway for several hours, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced.

On Sept. 15, John Raymond Lopez of Norwalk pleaded no contest to three felony counts in case TA140040: assault with a deadly weapon, fleeing a pursuing peace officer’s motor vehicle while driving recklessly and sale/transport/offer to sell controlled substance.

The defendant also admitted that he was previously convicted of assault upon a peace office or firefighter in 2014.

Deputy District Attorney Lauren Fields, who prosecuted the case, said on May 5 sheriff’s deputies in Compton spotted a car that was believed to be involved in a crime.

When authorities attempted to pull over the vehicle, Lopez sped off and began heading eastbound on the 91 Freeway, the prosecutor said.

During the two-hour police pursuit, Lopez allegedly hit multiple cars and injured a driver, the prosecutor added.

Following a standoff with police on the 91 Freeway, Lopez was extracted from the car and arrested, according to the prosecutor.

Lopez was found in possession of a large amount of drugs and the vehicle belonged to another person, the prosecutor said.

The case was investigated by the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.