News Releases

January 31, 2014: Man Pleads Not Guilty to Scamming Elderly Motorist

Contact: 
Shiara Davila-Morales, Media Chief
(213) 257-2000

A man accused of scamming an 85-year-old motorist by falsely claiming that the elderly victim had been involved in a traffic collision, then demanding thousands of dollars in compensation, pleaded not guilty late yesterday, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced.

Deputy District Attorney John Pomeroy of the Elder Abuse Section said David Stevens, 42 (dob 7/31/71), of Los Angeles, was charged Thursday with two counts each of first-degree burglary, person present and theft from an elder in case LA076682. Stevens also faces one count each of attempted first-degree burglary, person present and false imprisonment of an elder.

Commissioner Mitchell Block ordered Stevens remanded into the custody of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department and set the defendant’s bail at $1.25 million. Stevens returns to court on Feb. 11 in Department 120 of the Los Angeles County Superior Court, Van Nuys Branch, for a preliminary hearing.

The prosecutor said the alleged offenses pertain to one victim and occurred in the San Fernando Valley between Oct. 25, 2013, and Jan. 6, 2014.

The defendant allegedly told the elderly man there had been a traffic collision and the victim needed to pay him thousands of dollars to compensate him, according to the prosecutor. Over the course of three months, Stevens went on to contact the victim at his home and in public shopping areas, he added.

The case remains under investigation by the Los Angeles Police Department, Van Nuys Division. If convicted as charged, Stevens faces 12 years, four months in state prison.