News Releases

November 20, 2014: Man Charged with Monterey Park Murder

Contact: 
Sarah Ardalani, Public Information Officer
213-257-2000

An 18-year-old man accused of killing a man in Monterey Park pleaded not guilty today, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced. 

Angel Octavion Garcia (dob 12/6/95) of South San Gabriel has been charged with a single count of murder in case GA095071. He currently remains incarcerated on $1 million bail. 

Deputy District Attorney Kenneth Meyer, who is prosecuting the case, said on Oct. 14 Garcia allegedly stabbed Edward Mendoza, 35, in a Monterey Park parking lot. 

There are no indications the two men knew each other, the prosecutor said. 

After the assault, Mendoza called 911 and said he had been stabbed. Police responded to the location, found the victim bleeding, and took him to County-USC Medical Center, where he later died. 

Soon after the incident, a person came forward to police and identified Garcia as the assailant. Eight days after the killing, police arrested Garcia in connection with the killing, the prosecutor said. 

Garcia is scheduled to return to court Jan. 9 for a preliminary hearing setting at the Los Angeles County Superior Court in Alhambra in Department 5. 

If convicted as charged, the defendant faces a maximum sentence of life in state prison. 

The case is being investigated by the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.