News Releases

May 5, 2017: Man Charged with Kidnapping, Assaulting Ex-Girlfriend in Duarte

Contact: 
Sarah Ardalani, Public Information Officer
(213) 257-2000

A 37-year-old man was charged today with forcing his ex-girlfriend into a car, assaulting her and threatening to kill her, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced.

Alberto Casillas (dob 8/21/79) has been charged with three felony counts in case GA101048: kidnapping, injuring a girlfriend and making criminal threats. The felony complaint also alleges that the defendant was previously convicted of making criminal threats in 2010.

Casillas is scheduled to be arraigned today in Department 5 of the Los Angeles County Superior Court, Alhambra Branch. Prosecutors are asking that bail be set at $250,000.

Deputy District Attorney Yoobin Kang Hernandez, who is assigned to the case, said Casillas reportedly went to his ex-girlfriend’s Duarte home on May 3. While in front of the woman’s residence, the defendant allegedly forced the ex-girlfriend into his vehicle and threatened to hurt her if she got out, the prosecutor said.

Casillas then reportedly drove the pair to his East Los Angeles home, the prosecutor added. A witness to the alleged abduction contacted law enforcement about the attack.

When officers arrived at the defendant’s home, they allegedly found the victim in the driveway with injuries to her body, according to the prosecutor.

Casillas was subsequently arrested in connection with the incident.

If convicted as charged, he faces a maximum possible sentence of 24 years in state prison.

The domestic violence case is being investigated by the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.