News Releases

January 16, 2019: Man Charged with Capital Murder in East Los Angeles Shooting

Contact: 
Paul Eakins, Public Information Officer
(213) 257-2000

An Alhambra man charged with capital murder for allegedly shooting a 22-year-old man during a robbery last year in East Los Angeles is expected to be arraigned today, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced.

Abraham Caberea (dob 12/21/99) has been charged with one count of murder with a special circumstance allegation that he committed the crime during a robbery. The criminal complaint in case BA473894, which was filed on Dec. 26, also includes firearm allegations.

Caberea, Wayne Andrew Seare (dob 2/11/98) of Montebello and Samantha Irene Castillo (dob 4/21/98) of East Los Angeles also face one felony count of second-degree robbery with an allegation that a principal in the crime used a firearm. Seare additionally is charged with one felony count of accessory after the fact.

The defendants are scheduled to be arraigned today in Department 30 of the Foltz Criminal Justice Center. Caberea is being held without bail, and the court set Seare’s bail at $1.05 million and Castillo’s at $130,000.

On Nov. 7, 2018, the group allegedly pulled into the parking lot of a liquor store in the 2400 block of Whittier Boulevard where victim Rene Alejandro Lupian was purchasing beer, prosecutors said. After Lupian left the store, the defendants allegedly followed him in their vehicle to the nearby 900 block of South Concourse Avenue.

There, they are accused of robbing the victim, whom Caberea allegedly shot to death, prosecutors said.

The defendants were later identified and Caberea and Seare were arrested in December.

Castillo was arrested earlier this month and charges were filed against her in an amended criminal complaint on Jan. 11.

Caberea faces the death penalty or life in state prison without the possibility of parole if convicted as charged. A decision on whether to seek the death penalty will be made at a later date.

Seare and Castillo each face a possible maximum sentence of six years in state prison if convicted as charged.

The case remains under investigation by the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, Homicide Bureau.