News Releases

May 1, 2014: Gang Member Pleads Not Guilty To Attempted Murder, Other Crimes

Sarah Ardalani, Public Information Officer
(213) 257-2000

A Whittier man accused of stabbing a family member and violently assaulting another man in an unrelated attack pleaded not guilty today, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced.

Alfred Tapia (dob 6/20/79) was arraigned on two counts of attempted murder and one count each of mayhem and child abuse in case VA132986.

The felony complaint includes special allegations that the defendant personally inflicted great bodily injuries and personally used deadly and dangerous weapons, a hammer and knife, in the commission of the crimes.

Additionally, the complaint alleges that the crimes were committed for the benefit and at the direction of, and in association with a criminal street gang, and with the intent to promote, further, and assist in criminal conduct by gang members.

The charging document also alleges that Tapia was convicted of carjacking in 2001 in San Bernardino County and first-degree burglary, person present in 2005 in Los Angeles County.

The defendant appeared before Judge Peter Espinoza at the Los Angeles County Superior Court in Norwalk and his bail was set at $3.15 million.

Deputy District Attorney Bob Chen of the Hardcore Gang Division said on Dec. 3, 2013 Tapia went to his uncle’s home and had a disagreement over a personal matter. While at the house, Tapia allegedly stabbed his uncle several times and then left the scene.

Two days later, the defendant allegedly went to a former gang member’s residence. The man was home alone caring for his infant child. Tapia chased the man outside and reportedly attacked him with a knife and hammer, Chen said.

After the second assault, Tapia fled to Mexico. He was later located by law enforcement authorities and brought back to Southern California in April.

Tapia’s next court appearance is scheduled for June 2 to set a date for a preliminary hearing at the Norwalk courthouse in Department J. If convicted as charged, Tapia faces a maximum sentence of life in state prison.

The case remains under investigation by the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.