News Releases

May 29, 2014: Former Teacher Pleads in Child Sex Abuse Case

Contact: 
Sarah Ardalani, Public Information Officer
(213) 257-2000

A former teacher at George De La Torre Jr. Elementary school in Wilmington who was accused of sexually molesting students pleaded no contest today, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced.

Robert Pimentel, 58, pleaded no contest to four felony counts involving four separate victims: one count of continuous sexual abuse and three counts of lewd act on a child.

Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge James B. Pierce scheduled sentencing and restitution for June 19 in Department 22 of the Los Angeles County Superior Court, Long Beach Branch.

Under the terms of a negotiated plea agreement, the defendant is expected to be sentenced to 12 years in state prison, said Deputy District Attorney Lee Ashley Cernok.

The prosecutor said Pimentel also will be required to register as a sex offender and ordered to stay away from the victims for 10 years.

The defendant sexually abused multiple girls between 2002 and 2012, the prosecutor said. In March 2012, one of the victims, a student in the defendant’s class, revealed to her mother that Pimentel had been inappropriately touching her.

That student, along with several others, reported the conduct to the Los Angeles Police Department. LAPD investigators then identified other victims, including a relative of the defendant’s.

The case was filed in January of 2013. The defendant has remained in custody since his arraignment on January 24, 2013.

The case was investigated by the Los Angeles Police Department, Juvenile Division and the Newport Beach Police Department.