News Releases

March 6, 2017: Felon Sentenced to Prison for South El Monte Home Burglary

Contact: 
Sarah Ardalani, Public Information Officer
(213) 257-2000

A 51-year-old man was sentenced today to 35 years to life in state prison for breaking into a house and threatening to kill the homeowner, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced.

On Dec. 1, 2016, a jury found Robert Andrew Rodriguez guilty of two felony counts in case KA111372: first-degree burglary, person present, and making criminal threats.

The defendant also admitted he was previously convicted of assault with a deadly weapon in 2001 and 2006.

Deputy District Attorney Kelsey McKeever-Unger of the Victim Impact Program, who prosecuted the case, said on the evening of Dec. 14, 2015, Rodriguez broke into a South El Monte home through a window. The defendant went to the upstairs bedroom, encountered the female homeowner and threatened to kill her, the prosecutor said.

The victim called out to her son to notify police of the intruder. She also yelled for her husband to help, the prosecutor added. The husband responded to his wife, confronted Rodriguez and told the defendant to leave the residence, according to the prosecutor.

At that point Rodriguez fled the home, the prosecutor said. Authorities arrived, interviewed the victim and began searching the surrounding area for the defendant.

The next day, Rodriguez was located, identified as the burglar and taken into custody, according to the prosecutor.

The case was investigated by the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.