News Releases

February 27, 2014: Ex-Soccer Coach Found Guilty for Molesting 15 Children

Contact: 
Ricardo Santiago, Public Information Officer
(213) 257-2000

A former American Youth Soccer Organization (AYSO) coach in Lancaster was found guilty today of molesting 15 children, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced.

Deputy District Attorney Jonathan Hatami said a jury deliberated for four hours before finding 52-year-old Renoir Vincent Valenti guilty of five felony counts of continuous child abuse, four felony counts of lewd act upon a child, and four felony counts of procuring and offering false or forged instrument.

Valenti was also convicted of six misdemeanor counts of child molesting, and one count of disobeying a court order.

Valenti faces a 154-years-to-life sentence in prison. He is scheduled to be sentenced on April 18 in Department 17 of the Los Angeles County Superior Court, Antelope Valley Branch.

During a span of almost 17 years, Valenti, an AYSO coach who used numerous aliases, molested 14 boys, six of whom were soccer players he coached, and a young girl. The ages of Valenti’s victims ranged from 8 years old to 12 years old, Hatami added.

The incidents occurred between 1995 and 2012, according to the prosecutor. The investigation into Valenti began in July 2012 when the mother of a 10-year-old boy said her son had been molested by the defendant.

Judge Daviann Mitchell of the Los Angeles County Superior Court, Antelope Valley Branch, presided over the 35-day trial. A total of 58 witnesses testified, including all of the victims.

The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Special Victims Bureau investigated the case.